An extra point likely would've sent the game to overtime. But Penn-Trafford went for it all.
After Brett Laffoon's touchdown pass to John Guzik with 16 seconds remaining, Laffoon hit running back Devin Austin for a two-point conversion that gave Penn-Trafford a 35-34 upset over Gateway, which entered Friday undefeated and ranked third in Class AAAA.
Austin carried 31 times for 182 yards to help lift Penn-Trafford to 5-3, 5-2 Foothills Conference.
Gateway quarterback Jimmy Moore set the school's single-game passing record with 390 yards. Montae Nicholson was on the other end of 253 of those yards, setting the school record for receiving yards.
With one week to go, here's a look at the top of the Foothills Conference standings:
Kiski Area 4-3
Hempfield hosts Penn-Trafford next Friday. McKeesport goes to Gateway. Kiski Area plays Latrobe (1-6). (Kiski, if you're curious, beat Penn-Trafford and lost to Hempfield.)
Games of the week
- No. 2 Beaver Falls couldn't hold on against No. 1 Aliquippa and became the second undefeated team to lose Friday night, falling 34-28. Read Mike White's live blog for more.
- North Hills held off Pine-Richland, 7-0, in Class AAAA Northern Eight Conference action. North Hills' touchdown was an 80-yard pass to Brandon Wagner on the third play of the game. Read @CraigMeyerPG's Twitter feed for more.
- In Class AAA Parkway Conference action, New Castle scored in the final minute to edge Moon, 43-42. Both teams entered the game 4-2 in the conference. Moon running back Cole Blake had a big night, scoring five touchdowns and going over 300 yards. Read Brad Everett (@BREAL412)'s Twitter feed for more.
Friday night notes
- Jimmy Wheeler ran for 208 yards and four touchdowns in West Mifflin's 43-28 win over Trinity. He is now just four yards shy of 2,000 on the season.
- Yough beat Greensburg Central Catholic, 38-31, with a 43-yard pass from Tyler Donahue to Jordan Bryan on the last play of the game.
- West Greene, strangely enough, won and lost Friday. It picked up a win when Geibel Catholic forfeited and was able to schedule a replacement game against North Star -- but lost 48-8.
- Clairton beat Serra Catholic 61-13 Friday in the final game of its regular season. The Bears were supposed to play Imani Christian next week but didn't schedule a replacement when Imani cancelled its season.
Odds and ends
- High score: Mars 69, Hollidaysburg 14.
- Shutouts: 8.
- OT games: None reported.
How teams new to the rankings fared
Mount Pleasant (AA) beat Brownsville 55-13.
How teams that fell out of the rankings responded
Washington (AA) beat Freeport 36-7.
Full results from ranked teams:
Class AAAA (records entering Week Eight)
1) Upper St. Clair (7-0) beat Plum 54-0.
2) Central Catholic (7-0) beat Altoona 38-0.
3) Gateway (7-0) lost at home to Penn-Trafford 35-34.
4) McKeesport (7-0) beat Kiski Area 34-12.
5) Woodland Hills (5-2) beat Peters Township 42-9.
1) Thomas Jefferson (7-0) beat Uniontown 49-6.
2) West Allegheny (7-0) beat Montour 37-17.
3) West Mifflin (7-0) beat Trinity 43-28.
4) Central Valley (6-1) beat Ambridge 49-0.
5) Mars (6-1) beat Hollidaysburg 69-14.
1) Aliquippa (7-0) beat No. 2 Beaver Falls 34-28.
2) Beaver Falls (7-0) lost at home to No. 1 Aliquippa 34-28.
3) South Fayette (7-0) beat South Park 38-0.
4) Mount Pleasant (7-0) beat Brownsville 55-13.
5) Shady Side Academy (7-0) beat Summit Academy 38-8.
1) Sto-Rox (7-0) beat Laurel 28-17.
2) North Catholic (7-0) beat No. 3 Neshannock 21-14.
3) Neshannock (6-1) lost to No. 2 North Catholic 21-14.
4) Clairton (6-1) beat Serra Catholic 61-13.
5) Monessen (6-1) beat Chartiers-Houston 38-7.
1) University Prep (6-0) beat Perry 36-6 (Thursday)
2) Brashear (4-3) lost to No. 3 Allderdice 23-18.
3) Allderdice (3-4) beat No. 2 Brashear 23-18.
Apollo-Ridge at Riverview, 12 p.m.
Shenango at Western Beaver, 12:30 p.m.
Linsly School (W.Va.) at Kiski School, 2 p.m.
Brentwood at Bishop Canevin 7 p.m.
Follow Post-Gazette sports reporter Nick Veronica on Twitter @NickVeronica.