North Allegheny was shut out Friday night for the first time since 2006, losing 27-0 to Central Catholic. What was already an uphill climb against the No. 2 Vikings was only made more difficult by a handful of Tiger turnovers. Check out @CraigMeyerPG's feed for more on this game and read his recap.
Upper St. Clair's five-game shutout streak was broken Friday against Bethel Park, but the Panthers rolled, 28-13. For USC players and coaches, this game was personal. Tailback Mac Pope said he looked last year's game story for motivation all summer. Read Friday night's game recap and check out my Twitter (@NickVeronica) for more on this game.
(Something I thought about on the way home: Bulletin board material just wouldn't be the same without printed newspapers. Subscribe to the Post-Gazette!)
Tyler Mellors ran for 216 yards and six touchdowns to lift Mount Pleasant (7-0) over No. 3 Washington (6-1) in Class AA action. Mellors also set his school's rushing record in the process. Check out @RyanRiordan's feed for more on this game and read the recap here.
- Seneca Valley beat North Hills in double overtime, 24-17. T.J. Holl scored the winning touchdown. More from Class AAAA.
- No. 2 West Allegheny needed a second-half rally to get past New Castle, 37-31. More from Class AAA.
- Tyler Balla ran for 306 yards to lift Greensburg Central Catholic over Charleroi 33-14. More from Class AA.
- Beth-Center improved to 7-0 with a 39-28, come-from-behind win over Frazier. More from Class A.
- Ron Brown threw for 349 yards to lead a 33-0 University Prep win against Westinghouse. More from the City League.
- Fort Cherry beat Serra Catholic 86-19, scoring the most points in a WPIAL game since at least 1952.
How teams new to the rankings fared
Monessen (A) beat Mountain Ridge (Md.) 52-12.
How teams that fell out of the rankings responded
Avonworth (A) beat Springdale 39-0.
Full results from ranked teams:
1) Upper St. Clair beat Bethel Park 28-13.
2) Central Catholic beat North Allegheny 27-0.
3) Gateway beat Norwin 13-6.
4) McKeesport beat Connellsville 47-12.
5) Woodland Hills beat Canon-McMillan 34-0.
1) Thomas Jefferson beat Belle Vernon 35-0.
2) West Allegheny beat New Castle 37-31.
3) West Mifflin beat Indiana 21-14.
4) Central Valley beat Hopewell 42-14.
5) Mars beat Knoch 40-7.
1) Aliquippa beat Ellwood City 56-0.
2) Beaver Falls beat Freedom 51-6.
3) Washington lost to Mount Pleasant 47-22.
4) South Fayette beat Riverside 49-0.
5) Shady Side Academy beat Jeanette 28-21.
1) Sto-Rox plays Saturday at Western Beaver (I'll be covering this one -- follow @NickVeronica for updates)
2) North Catholic beat Wilkinsburg 41-12.
3) Neshannock beat Our Lady of Sacred Heart 53-7.
4) Clairton beat Bishop Canevin 42-7.
5) Monessen beat Mountain Ridge (Md.) 52-12.
Valley at Summit Academy, 12:30 p.m.
Sto-Rox at Western Beaver, 12:30 p.m.
Bentworth at Geibel Catholic, 1 p.m.
Post-Gazette sports reporter Nick Veronica is on Twitter @NickVeronica