Update Noon: Just caught up with RMU Coach Derek Schooley who has posted the remaining scenarios on the locker room wall over at the Island Sports Center, where RMU is still practicing, that keep his team alive in the hunt for that No. 16 and final spot in the NCAA tournament.
To stay alive, what Robert Morris needs to happen today is: Niagara has to beat Canisus in the AHA playoffs, Providence has to beat UMass-Lowell in the Hockey East playoffs, and Minnesota has to beat Colorado College in the WCHA playoffs.
If those things happen RMU should survive to Saturday, when the final games will be played and their fate sealed.
"I said to our guys, if come Monday we're practicing it means we've had a good year. If we're not, it doesn't take away what we've done this season," said Schooley.
There, he is certainly correct. Fact: RMU has won 20 games for the first time in program history and has never, ever, been in the conversation for the NCAA tournament heading into the final games of the season.
10:24 a.m. entry: A few playoff outcomes Thursday night seem to have diminished the chances of Robert Morris getting that 16th and final spot in the NCAA tournament fairly significantly.
But there is at least one scenario that still exists that gets them in.
Long and short of it, the Colonials need Connecticut eliminated from the grid to wipe out their record against them mattering, and they absolutely need Niagara to win the Atlantic Hockey Association tournament.
Credit for this information goes to College Hockey News (www.collegehockeynews.com) which does a fantastic job with predicting the tournament using the PairWise.
A scenario that gets RMU in: (Note: there may be one other scenario, working on finding that and will update)
- Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #1: Niagara def. Canisius
- Atlantic Hockey Semifinal #2: Mercyhurst def. Connecticut
- Atlantic Hockey Championship: Niagara def. Mercyhurst
- CCHA Semifinal #1: Michigan def. Miami
- CCHA Semifinal #2: Notre Dame def. Ohio State
- CCHA Championship: Notre Dame def. Michigan
- ECAC Semifinal #1: Brown def. Quinnipiac
- ECAC Semifinal #2: Yale def. Union
- ECAC Championship: Yale def. Brown
- ECAC Consolation: Quinnipiac def. Union
- Hockey East Semifinal #1: Providence def. Mass.-Lowell
- Hockey East Semifinal #2: Boston University def. Boston College
- Hockey East Championship: Boston University def. Providence
- WCHA Semifinal #1: St. Cloud State def. Wisconsin
- WCHA Semifinal #2: Colorado College def. Minnesota
- WCHA Championship: St. Cloud State def. Colorado College