MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen joined the media corps Tuesday for his weekly news conference. The 20th-ranked Mountaineers (6-2, 4-1 Big 12) host No. 10 TCU (6-1, 3-1) Saturday at Milan Puskar Stadium. ESPN's College GameDay will be in town for the event.
Here's a synopsis of the presser:
• OPENING STATEMENT | "It's going to be a fun and excited one" in Morgantown this weekend. "It's ironic to see two programs as similar as they are," coming from non-power conferences, dominating there and then after identical records their first two years in the Big 12 both have six wins this year. Will be a lot of national attention on this game, but team needs to stay focused. "This is our ninth game, and four [opponents] have been in the top-10."
• TCU DEFENSE | When you think of Gary Patterson, you think defense. ... One of the best defensive minds in college footall. ... They're not trying to be tricky, they're just trying to beat you." Defense played a big part in offense scoring 82 points vs. Texas Tech last week.
• TCU OFFENSE | This is the biggest difference between 2013 and 2014. Starts with Trevone Boykin, "not probably, he is the most improved player in college football." Texted TCU coaches this week saying to move Boykin back to receiver. ... "They're running the quarterback because they're got a quarterback that can run," and he's most dangerous when he's scrambling.
• PASSING GAME | "We're going to have to play better up front in the pass game. It's not like we're not capable." TCU is "probably as sound a defensive front as I've seen."
• LAST WEEK | Very proud of team for "figuring out" a way to win against Oklahoma State, which is very tough at home.
• COLLEGE GAMEDAY | Can't say he's an avid watcher, but it's on sometimes in the hotel room. "Those guys do a good job."
• CLINT TRICKETT | "I didn't say he was just a game manager. He's a pretty damn good quarterback, too." He's very aware of his surroundings this year, understands the mood, the reads, the pace. "He was completely unaware of his surroundings last year. Dude had no experience."
• DRAVON HENRY | "He's been getting better and better. He didn't just get player of the week because of the two picks." You worry about freshmen regressing midseason, but he refocused and has been on the incline and put two great weeks together." Would say he and Daryl Worley are "pretty similar" at this point in their careers, though Worley had to move around a bit as a freshman, going from corner to safety and back, and Henry hasn't had to.
• INJURIES | CB Terrell Chestnut is "functioning fine," but no update on his status. Anticipates he'll look fine today. Would be "incredibly disappointed" if he couldn't go vs. TCU.