Pitt (3-2, 0-1 ACC) takes on Georgia Tech (3-2, 1-2) today at Heinz Field. It’s all ACC games from here on out for the Panthers, who are still trying to win the Coastal Division. Pitt is coming off a 43-27 win against Marshall, and Georgia Tech is coming off a 35-21 loss to Miami.
- Game time: 12:30 p.m.
- TV/Radio: WTAE-TV Channel 4, ACC Network, 93.7 the Fan and Pitt IMG Sports Network
- Forecast: Cloudy and high of 64 degrees. The rain should hold off, according to my trusty weather app.
Here are three things to look for today:
1. Georgia Tech's offense. The ole triple-option comes to town with Paul Johnson and the Yellow Jackets today, an offense that is both old-school and unconventional, and takes a lot of time to prepare for. The Panthers say they’ve done that and are ready this year, after devoting regular time back in August to defending the triple-option, calling around the country for advice, and getting a freshman defensive back to run the offense on the scout team. Georgia Tech will get its yards, but as long as the defense can contain them enough, the offense should be able to go to work and get the scores needed to win.
2. Turnovers. Georgia Tech fumbled the ball twice last week in a 35-21 loss to Miami, and both turnovers turned into scores for the Hurricanes. Take away those turnovers and Georgia Tech outgained No. 14 ranked Miami 361-355 in total yards, and held a nearly 20-minute advantage in possession time. The turnovers killed them.
3. Strong safety Jordan Whitehead is expected to be available to return today for Pitt after missing last week for personal reasons. It was a real mystery for a few days what was going on - and frankly still is - but coach Pat Narduzzi at least finally issued a statement mid-week on his star defensive back’s absence and said "I fully anticipate that Jordan will be available to play" today against Georgia Tech.