The Pittsburgh fashion and retail community is just days away from learning if it will be granted permission to start a local chapter of Fashion Group International, a global nonprofit that helps unite and promote fashion insiders from around the world.
The news was shared at a meeting at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Downtown, where about 50 people turned out Thursday evening to learn the latest about the endeavor.
In July members of the local style scene, under the direction of Stephanie Taylor, who heads The Art Institute of Pittsburgh's fashion retail management and fashion design programs, set out to investigate if there would be enough interest in Pittsburgh to make an FGI chapter here a viable endeavor. One reception, a few meetings and six months later, FGI's New York headquarters will determine on Monday if the city meets its standards to start a provisional chapter.
To be eligible for consideration, Ms. Taylor had to submit to FGI headquarters information highlighting Pittsburgh as a diverse fashion market, a viability statement listing some of the city's regular fashion events and a letter of intent requesting provisional status.
Staff members at FGI headquarters "were actually pleasantly surprised," Ms. Taylor said, that Pittsburgh had so many fashion-related activities, boutiques and major retailers based in the city, such as ModCloth and American Eagle.
If provisional status is permitted, a board of directors will be assembled to lead the local group through its first year. At the meeting, Ms. Taylor announced that the following positions will need to be filled:
- Co-regional director: Assists the regional director and will be groomed to step into the position after the regional director's one-year term is complete.
- Membership director: Promotes the local chapter throughout the community to rally support and new members.
- Programming director: Organizes industry-related activities for group members and the community.
- Social media/public relations director: Promotes the local chapter on social media platforms and to media outlets.
- Treasurer: Manages the group's finances.
- Website manager: Creates and updates the local chapter's website.
The next meeting will be 6-7:30 p.m. March 27 at The Art Institute of Pittsburgh. Learn more about FGI at www.fgi.org.