Varsity Blog program notes: I'll have a live blog from tonight's Thomas Jefferson-Woodland Hills game. 7 p.m. start. The blog will have some score updates from other games around the area. If you have a score update or a note from a game, email me at:
. I'll try to get it on.
On Sunday, I'll do a live blog from the Gateway Kickoff Classic - 2 p.m. is Central Catholic vs. Archbishop Wood. 6 p.m. is Gateway vs. Harrisburg Bishop McDevitt
But first this piece of news ...
Jaylen Coleman is playing at University Prep in the City League.
He left Peabody in the spring, transferred to Gateway. He was all set to play at Gateway. Then the day of the first preseason practice, Gateway coach Terry Smith kicked him off the team.
So Coleman (pictured) moved back into the city, enrolled at University Prep and was cleared to play by the City League athletic committee. Mike Gavlik, City League athletic director, said in a text message that Gateway did not contest the transfer and gave a principal to principal signoff.
Coleman had said after he was kicked off the team that he had a residency problem.
Coleman, a standout linebacker, has Division I scholarship offers.
And now ...
As the season kicks off tonight, there are some things I'm curious about. So,
I'm just wonderin'...
* When will Rushel Shell break Mike Vernillo's WPIAL rushing record? I say by week four.
* Will Shell break the national record for consecutive 100-yard games? I say yes. He needs 10 more.
* Is Blackhawk sophomore Chandler Kincade the next big-time QB from Western Pa? Pitt already has offered.
* In football season, the team name is University Prep. For all other sports, the team name is Obama. Who came up with this?
* Isn't it sad what has happened to Westinghouse's once-proud football program?
* What if Joe Paterno, Jack McCurry, Jim Render, Joe Hamilton and George Novak all retired after this season?
* What will the ratings be for Root Sports' telecast of tonight's Thomas Jefferson-Woodland Hills game?
* Will any of you get a tremendous feeling tonight when you hear the ban play in pregame warmups? I will.
* Will the temperature reach 100 tonight in Woodland Hills' press box?
* What will be the first team I see holding up four fingers and yelling "Fourrrrrrrrrr" at the start of the fourth quarter? A stupid tradition. Almost as stupid as the basketball teams in pregame warmups who put one player at the foul line with the rest of the team around the lane. One player shoots one shot. If it goes in, the team claps, and then another player moves in. Great way for everyone to get loose, isn't it?
* How good is this Mack Leftwich, the new QB at North Allegheny, son of Pitt offensive line coach?
* A lot of preseason talk about Penn-Trafford. Are the Warriors for real?
And I'm also wonderin'
* Does the Jaylen Coleman case make you scratch your head? One might wonder how he is eligible? If a kid is enrolled at a school, gets kicked off the team and immediately transfers to another school, isn't there athletic intent involved there somewhere? I know Gateway did not contest Coleman's transfer from Gateway to University Prep, but that's because the school didn't want to get in the way of him playing football somewhere his senior year. Way too often in transfer cases, a school doesn't contest a transfer even if the school knows it's for athletic intent. Too many schools don't want to bother with a hearing and other matters.
I could almost guarantee that if Coleman left Gateway for another school, the WPIAL would seriously think about ruling him ineligible, even with a principal-to-principal signoff. But the WPIAL had no jurisdiction in this case after Coleman transferred to the City League.
* Can Clairton go undefeated through the entire season again and break the WPIAL record for longest winning streak? If the Bears win tonight against Washington, I say they at least win their first 11 and get to the semifinals with a 42-game winning streak. The record is 46.
* Why is Wisconsin becoming the WPIAL of the Big Ten Conference? Two recruits in this senior class (Arthur Goldberg of Mt. Lebanon and Reggie Mitchell of Shady Side Academy) and one in next year's class (Scott Orndoff of Seton-LaSalle).
* Is Luke Hagy seriously considering Pitt's scholarship offer, or will he decide to play at a lower level?
* Does anyone think that Chartiers Valley just got better when Wayne Capers moved back to quarterback from slotback?
* Is there really a 5-foot-2, 88-pound kid playing WPIAL football? Apparently so. That's what the East Allegheny roster lists for freshman receiver Tyler Oskin.
* How many kids will cramp up in this hot weather tonight?
* Isn't it crazy how the temperatures were relatively cool all through preseason camps, and the in the 90s for the first games?
And I'm just wonderin'...
* Does anyone wanna play golf tomorrow? I'm looking to play somewhere and looking for partners.