West Virginia is bowl eligible following Friday night’s 31-24 win at Iowa State and has snapped the five-game skid that went on for nearly two months.
The Mountaineers also have a chance to end the season at 7-5 with a win next week against struggling Kansas at home.
Key plays that all happened in the fourth quarter:
- Tavon Austin’s 75 yard touchdown with 6:31 to go in the fourth quarter was the backbreaker for Iowa State.
- Tavon Austin’s 2-point conversion that gave the team a seven point lead.
- Darwin Cook’s forced fumble on the Cyclones final drive and the recovery by Karl Joseph in the end zone.
- Tyler Bitancurt’s 35-yard field goal to give West Virginia a 23-21 lead.
WR/RB Tavon Austin had 261 all-purpose yards:
- 74 rushing yards on 14 carries
- 99 receiving yards on six catches
- 42 yards on a key punt return
- 46 yards on two kickoff returns for a total of 261 all-purpose yards.
- 1 TD
RB Shawne Alston rushed for a career best 130 yards on 19 carries, and a 1-yard rushing TD.
WR Stedman Bailey had 82 receiving yards, pushing his season total to 1,342, a program record.
QB Geno Smith finished 22-for-31 for 236 yards and two TDs