Twenty Years Later - Islanders 4, Penguins 3 - 12-23-10

Written by Seth Rorabaugh on .

"Twenty Years Later" is a segment with a highly unimaginative name which will appear on Empty Netters throughout the 2010-11 season. We will examine the Penguins' 1990-91 season which led to the first Stanley Cup title in franchise history. We will look back on games on a particular date and catch up with former players, coaches, executives and media members who were a part or around that team.

Today, we look at the Penguins' 4-3 loss to the Islanders, Dec. 23, 1990.

The Penguins saw their six-game winning streak come to an end at the Civic Arena. Rookie right winger Jaromir Jagr put the Penguins up on the scoreboard first, 1-0, with a goal against goaltender Jeff Hackett at 5:50 of the first period. Defensema Peter Taglianetti and center Jiri Hrdina each recorded assists.

Just over two minutes later at 8:10, right winger Mark Recchi put the Penguins up 2-0 with a power play goal off assists from defenseman Paul Coffey and Larry Murphy.

At 14:10 of the second, right winger Patrick Flatley scored the Islanders' first goal against goaltender Frank Pietrangelo to make it 2-1. Left winger Derek King and defenseman Joe Reekie each netted an assist.

Less than four minutes later at 18:01, Flatley struck again to tied the game, 2-2. Assists went to center Brent Sutter and King.

Late in the period, center Randy Gilhen scored his 10th goal of the season while killing a penalty to make it 3-2. Defenseman Zarley Zalapski recorded the lone assist.

The Islanders tied the game again, 3-3, at 8:18 of the third period with a goal by left winger Bill Berg off a wrist shot. Center Greg Parks and defenseman Craig Ludwig were credited with assists.

The Islanders won the game at 4:29 of overtime when Flatley completed his hat trick off an assist by Sutter.


-Pietrangelo recorded the loss after making 31 saves.

-The three stars were 1.) Flatley 2.) Gilhen 3.) King.

-At 1:26 of the overtime period, left winger David Volek appeared to win the game for the Islanders. His backhanded shot hit off the cross bar then the base of the right goal post. Goal judge Ron Harris did not turn on the red light but referee Paul Stewart signaled that Volek had scored. After the Islanders had retreated to their locker room and a protest by the Penguins, Stewart conferred with Harris and overturned the goal call.

-The Penguins' six-game winning streak fell one game short of tying the then-franchise mark of seven games set in 1986-87.

Patrick Division Standings:

Record Points
Rangers 20-13-6 46
Devils 19-13-6 44
Flyers 19-17-5 43
Penguins 18-17-3 39
Capitals 18-19-1 37
Islanders 13-18-4 30

-Also in the news that day:

-Quarterback Bubby Brister threw for 139 yards and four touchdowns and led the Steelers to a 35-0 shutout of the Browns at Three Rivers Stadium. Tight end Mike Mularkey caught two of Brister's touchdown passes while running back Barry Foster ran for 100 yards.

(Photo: Penguins Hockey Cards)

Join the conversation:

To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner. Thank you.