Pittsblogh readers seemed to enjoy the first two editions of Yinzerpedia, so we’re bringing it back, albeit on a monthly basis.
And yes, we affectionately call this feature “Yinzerpedia,” because it takes the principle of the crowdsourcing site Wikipedia, but the "crowd" for our purposes is all of yinz.
On tap this week: tunnel repairs, littering and leaving Pittsburgh.
Question: When will the Squirrel Hill tunnel be done and what is their work schedule? (March 25)
This originally came to the Post-Gazette from Brian Horgan on Twitter, and we redirected to Jon Schmitz, our resident traffic expert and reporter.
In other words, hang in there, tunnel commuters.
Question: What is the deal with all this litter in Pittsburgh? (April 1)
You need not rappel down the side of Mount Washington to help beautify the city, as Nick Romaniello of the Allegheny Mountain Rescue Group did at the end of March. (Robin Rombach/Post-Gazette)
A visiting Floridian and former Pittsburgh resident first raised the topic in a letter to the editor. He was shocked at the amount of litter in and around the city this time of year.
Many commenters in the thread pointed out that winter tends to shield some of the litter, and once the snow melts, everything from dog waste to beer cans seem pervasive.
Pittsburgh has a complicated history with trash clean-up efforts, as Mila Sanina wrote earlier this year on “The Digs.”
We don’t recommend this approach from selltheburgh: “I've made it a habit of telling people that they dropped something when they litter. Once I tossed a woman's mcdonald's cup back into her window when I saw her drop it out. She went ballistic.”
But you can help solve the region’s trash issues in a more constructive way on April 12.
Question: How would you spend your last day in Pittsburgh? (April 8)
It’s an interesting thought experiment (not new to Reddit), and many former Pittsburghers had to live it during the 20th century steel industry exodus. The responses highlight residents’ favorite things to do here.
Here’s a list:
- Boating around the rivers and Point State Park
- Rain-free Three Rivers Arts Festival
- Visit friends
- National Aviary
- Pierogies at Church Brew Works
- Penguins game
- Pirates game with walkoff home run and fireworks
- Primanti’s and Yuengling
- Drive through the Fort Pitt Tunnel at night
- Walk the Allegheny River trail east from the stadiums
- Ultimate frisbee in Highmark Stadium
- Eating at the Strip District
And, bringing this edition of Yinzerpedia full circle:
- “...leaving Pittsburgh with like 4 dollars to myname... that way i can run out of gas on my way to the turnpike in the Squirrel Hill tunnels so that one day i can be the CAUSE of all the traffic on the parkway East, not just wondering why its there for no reason in the first place”
Yinzerpedia: Park'n Eat, Mount Washington and virtual library cards (March 21)
Swimming holes, recycling schedule and Pittsburgh (March 14)