Prompted by your recent editorial on health-care proposals being considered by the Pennsylvania House of Representatives ("Good Medicine," April 27), we would like to provide some insight into other initiatives that have been proposed and deserve attention.
As health-care costs continue to skyrocket, we need new ideas and solutions. However, we must be careful in our approach to the very complex issue of health care. For this reason, all initiatives must be considered and debated so that a cost-effective and quality health-care plan can be developed that will benefit all Pennsylvanians.
As House Republicans, we created a Health Care Task Force, and through public hearings and meetings, we developed a plan that would not raise taxes. Included in our plan are tools that would lower health-care costs for all Pennsylvanians while maintaining a high quality of health care.
While providing cost-effective, quality care we want to make sure that Pennsylvanians have immediate access to primary care through health centers and clinics around the commonwealth. In addition, it is important to connect patients with physicians who can work directly with them to develop a plan specific to their needs.
But, these are only a few initiatives that should be considered. Others include:
* The Pennsylvania BasicCare Insurance Act, where insurance providers offer basic standardized plans that are more affordable.
* Employer and employee tax credits for business owners who provide health insurance or individuals who purchase their own health insurance coverage.
* Reforming AdultBasic to cover more Pennsylvanians.
* Creating transparency so that patients can see charges, which will increase competition and encourage healthy behavior.
* Utilizing and expanding health information technology.
As representatives of the people who elected us, we think it is only fair that everyone is aware of all choices available to them. Our proposals are deserving of recognition and consideration as they address the root of the problem: cost.
STATE REP. MARK MUSTIO
STATE REP. RANDY VULAKOVICH