Ed Bouchette reports:
- The Steelers just came to a contract agreement with guard Chris Kemoeatu that will pay him $20 million over the next five years. There were reports that Kemoeatu was about to sign with the New York Jets for the same amount, but he decided to stay with the Steelers instead. Full update
- The Steelers signed their second free agent within hours this afternoon when they came to terms with their fullback, Sean McHugh. McHugh, who also plays tight end, received a three-year contract worth $2.57 million. It includes a signing bonus of $390,000.
- Guard Kendall Simmons, released by the Steelers Thursday, is traveling to Buffalo today to meet with the Bills. Simmons will cost the Steelers $4.71 million against their salary cap this season, the amortization left on the $7.85 million signing bonus he received on the contract extension he signed 18 months ago.
The Kemoeatu signing/Simmons cutting has sparked some lively discussion in the comments section of this post -- weigh in with your opinion of these moves ...
More free agency:
- Michigan Live: Nate Washington to Detroit? (penthouse to the outhouse?)
- NFL.com: Jets sign Bart Scott; Corey Ivy visits there too -- these guys have had enough of Steelers WRs knocking them out
- ESPN.com: Fred Taylor to the Pats
- SI.com: Ravens sign Foxworth
- SI.com: Browns deal the 'soldier'
- NFL.com: Vrabel to Chiefs?
- NFL.com: Drunken sailors go on spending spree in DC. Navy men? No, the Redskins.
We'll continue to update throughout the day as more news happens
Mock Draft Madness
With the 32nd pick in the NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select ...
- D.J. Moore, CB, Vanderbilt (Don Banks, SI.com)
- Eben Britton, OT, Arizona (Chad Reuter, CBS SportsLine; NBC Sports; Todd McShay, espn.com -- paid content, no link)
- Alex Mack, C, Cal (FOXSports)
- Max Unger, C, Oregon (Steve Wyche, NFL.com)
- William Beatty, OT, Connecticut (Charles Davis, NFL.com)
- Nice roundup of mock draft sites put together by Pittsburgh Steelers Fanatic
- A must watch: Ridiculously awesome Steelers Super Bowl slideshow.
- Not busy tonight? Party with Ben in Vegas
- The Mount Rushmore of Steel.
- BNG is thrilled to have made the Elite Eight (thanks Sean!) though the selection committe should've added the PBC
- L.A. suburb to build NFL stadium. The Bills, Vikes & Raiders named as possible future tenants, which sickens BNG. These are great fan bases (even those Oakland nutjobs) and none of them deserve this. Take Jacksonville.
- Not everyone thought watching the combine was like being a filthy junkie
- Finally, we'd be remiss not to mark the one-year anniversary of Myron Cope's passing. Pittsburgh is greater for having had him, lessened by his loss, and strengthened by his legacy. Can only imagine that he and St. Peter tossed back a coupla celebratory Toddys after the Super Bowl. PSAMP has a nice commentary, along with a cool new format on their blog. And if you're missing that trademark golden voice, tune in to WEAE today.