Mayor Luke Ravenstahl will soon make an important appointment to the Pittsburgh school board for District 2. Make no mistake about it, who he chooses matters.
A+ Schools is very interested in ensuring the highest quality school board governance possible. We know the school system will be only as good as its leadership demands. Therefore we must have high expectations for our school district leaders to demand excellence for the sake of our kids.
In many ways, the success of Pittsburgh Public Schools could make or break the advancement of the city and the region.
The mayor has the opportunity to appoint a candidate who contributes to improved governance on the school board -- a candidate who has the qualities and qualifications to set and monitor policies that improve outcomes for all students, such as:
* A demonstrated commitment to the education of children and youth;
* A demonstrated commitment to the city and the Pittsburgh Public Schools;
* Experience with and ability to make decisions based on facts, research and effective practices;
* Ability to build consensus and participate in solution-oriented, if contentious, deliberations;
* Commitment to the mission, goals and shared beliefs of the school board;
* Experience as a policy leader in developing plans and strategies for achieving district goals;
* Experience and commitment to making board business accessible to the public;
We trust that the mayor will choose wisely and make good governance and the welfare of children priorities in this decision.
Executive Director, A+ Schools
Pittsburgh's Community Alliance for Public Education