The Philadelphia-based World Cafe radio show, which airs weekdays on WYEP-FM, will set its sights on Pittsburgh for the Dec. 11 episode of Sense of Place.
Previous editions have explored such scenes as Nashville, Brazil/Argentina, New Orleans, Dublin, Toronto and Portland, offering listeners a taste of the music, culture and personalities.
"I have always been a big fan of the city of bridges and tunnels so it was a joy to collaborate with WYEP on this quick visit to Pittsburgh. And the music! Listeners are going to love this show," World Cafe host David Dye said in a statement.
The Pittsburgh episode will feature:
• A live interview and performance session with Donora, recently recorded at WYEP.
• WYEP Morning Mix host Cindy Howes talking about Pittsburgh and playing her top five new local bands.
• An chat with Jerry Weber of the legendary Jerry's Records
• Renowned soul singer Billy Price selecting his top five classic Pittsburgh songs.
• An archived World Cafe performance by Rusted Root.
• And Pittsburgh music selections chosen by Dye.
World Cafe is nationally syndicated to more than 225 radio stations by NPR. It airs on WYEP at 6 p.m.